Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Testing

Sometimes my ideals undergo a little bit of testing. Right now is one of those times, when I have to remember that a 'blithe' kitchen takes into account all of life's vicissitudes and remains true as a general description rather than a moment by moment state.

Since I returned home from Montana we have been a bit off, first with teething (Ro) and then with the stomach flue (me). Neither of these things are conducive to summery menu plans and cheerful experimenting in the kitchen. In fact, I am avoiding the kitchen, which is wreaking havoc with our budget and probably our moods. I feel, however, that an end is in sight.

With that hope in mind, here is a picture of a picnic that could have been terrible but was redeemed, quite simply, by a baguette. On the Fourth of July we had a picnic in the park across the street. It was meant to be ideal (back when food sounded good)-slow roasted tomatoes, bleu cheese, a lemony potato salad, garlicky green beans, and the ubiquitous baguette. However, Rowan's foul teething humor meant that he was not enjoying this elegant picnic whatsoever, and therefore, neither were we. But who knew that a baguette could be such a good thing for poor painful gums?


I am grateful to say that the evening ended rather well after all.


And hopefully, we will all be back to normal, very, very soon. See you then.

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the teething. Our poor little sabiney has been teething for almost 9 months with one measly little tooth to show for it. Teething children make me sad.
    Glad you are on the mend.
    That last photo makes me exceedingly happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's soo blond, I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowan punching you in the nose. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rowan is looking like such a little kid! I can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute picture--makes me miss you SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look just like Rowan when I eat bread...but I am assuming I don't look quite as cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rowan is adorable!! Oh and love Dave's hat :) I love reading your updates...keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Axon, this is Stephanie, Summer's SIL...met you and Dave at Lighthouse Coffee eons ago, and now you are married with a sweet boy! Love the blog- I've deviated a bit lately b/c of nursing mother brain, but ours is family and cooking too. Love reading and trying new recipes so thanks for your takes on Jamie Oliver's awesome foods.

    ReplyDelete