Thursday, June 25, 2009

Notes From Montana

Rowan and I are in Montana for a week, where it is so astoundingly beautiful that God has graced it with clouds of mosquitoes and pollen to remind me that Montana is not Paradise. Otherwise I may have found it confusing. There is a porch dripping with flowers, a vast expanse of lush lawn, mountains for horizons, horses, cows, cowboys, tractors, creeks, grandmas, grandpas, uncles and bottle calves. Truly, a little boy and his mommy could ask for nothing more but the missing daddy, hard at work in Baltimore.

Of course I had every intention of writing extensively while here. But the hours have filled themselves. I am flying home tomorrow, brimming with thoughts about making a home, the country and the city, self-sufficiency and The Omnivore's Dilemma. Some of those thoughts may find their way here, once I am home and am no longer tempted by bonfires, gin and tonics, or sleepy afternoons on the porch. It will also help if we have internet access at home. Out of the last three weeks we have had about five days of access, and since our neighbor is kindly sharing there is not a whole lot we can do about it. So that's my excuse, and I find it a mighty handy one!

(Also, some lovely pictures of all the above can be seen here. My brother-yes, he takes a fine picture.)

3 comments:

  1. ahhh axon - I remember when we came out with a wee Lily and she rode on your horse Bear. It was the Luecks [pre boys], Tucker, Me and Lily and the darling Angela..your parents were great and I remember good food and times and riding on a truck up one of the hills/mts near your house and the roads that went on forever.. HOpe your visit was splendid! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You miss the expanse - the city must be becoming a reality. The first time we went to the country here, it felt so weird to be coming "home" to the city. Entirely backwards!

    Are you getting internet at home, or just wishing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it sounds beautiful! I think about you all the time as we are now living in the country :) Drew and I miss you guys so much! He was just asking the other day how Dave was doing. I read Omnivore's Dilema....also really liked In Defense of Food. Anyways, glad you got to go home and visit - bet your family was sad to see you leave.

    ReplyDelete