Monday, January 18, 2010

Oops

I have had quite a spate of cooking failures lately. And as my familiarity with the genre grows, I am beginning to notice a few rules - principles, if you will - that govern these unfortunate incidents.

1) Cooking failures usually involve at least one, if not several,  relatively expensive ingredients. Take, for instance, the evening in which I tried to roast fish, top it with a rustic tomato sauce, and serve it over quinoa. There was no recipe for this. I was freelancing, which was my first but certainly not last mistake. The fish (previously frozen) was more reminiscent of rubber than of anything else. The "rustic" tomato sauce was partially sweet, partially sour, and wholly unpleasant. The quinoa(s), poor things, were simply boring accessories to a tragic crime of a meal. It was meant to be a special and leisurely Friday night treat. It ended with a less-than-happy cook slamming dishes into the dish drainer.

2) Cooking failures often result in vast quantities of leftovers. Very unwanted leftovers. In an attempt to be as fascinating and casually glamorous as Nigella Lawson, I decided to make a batch of her holiday Chocolate Chip Chili. How could this possibly go wrong? But I should have known. I am not Nigella Lawson, I am not darkly gorgeous, and I do not have my own private butcher to to set aside the tenderest of beef shank for me. So I substituted ground beef and soldiered on. The beans I cooked myself (kidney beans) and probably (ahem) did not make sure that they boiled for a few important minutes. The beef stank as soon as it hit the pan. The chorizo was bland, the chocolate disappeared into the tomato sauce and the beans needed salt. But boy, did we have a lot of chili. And boy, did it upset our stomachs. Did I throw it out as I should have? No, of course not. There were expensive ingredients to be redeemed! So I froze it for awhile, just to enhance the flavors. Then I snuck it into next week's menu, hidden under a crust of cornbread (full of cheese and corn and organic flours...see Rule #1). I think by now you all get the idea of this story. And it finally ended up in the garbage. Where it belonged.

3) Cooking failures can often be prevented by listening to the little voice in your head that says, "Don't make the cookies with the quinoa, Axon...you don't need to! Just because it is in a cool cookbook, and you like weird recipes, and you have a sweet tooth! Don't do it! Don't waste the butter and the flour and the calories on a cookie that will taste like underdone tapioca with raisins! Stop! You are not listening to me!" I am now trying to pay closer attention to that voice in my head. And just in case you were wondering, the cookie recipe took three precious eggs, a tablespoon of equally precious vanilla, and made four dozen huge, unpleasant cookies. I rest my case.

7 comments:

  1. Yet look at what a delightful story it made!

    This is the Self-Taught Cook 101 stuff that makes your future cookbook SO appealing to the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!

    I completely identify; my cooking failures under type #1 are slightly different, though. I have a recipe - I just assume that I know what it says to do without reading it. Brian gives me much grief about this one - asking me why I bother with recipes if I don't bother to follow them, and honestly, I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nigella may be gorgeous, and unique, but I DO NOT believe she ate any chocolate chip chili. Stand firm. Listen to that little voice. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. ;) (Said she who cooks but rarely.)
    PS I bought an expensive turkey breast, cooked it slowly for hours, and left if for the kids to eat while I went to a church function. I had two more recipes planned for the turkey.
    ----My children threw it away after eating a small meal off of it. Fix that, Nigella Lawson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are utterly wrong about the quinoa cookies being a failure. You are the only person who didn't like them. They were almost gone by Monday night, I'm sure they're long gone now at the rate Sonora was eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, yes. It is amazing how furious I can become over a botched meal. And as you say, I rarely have anyone to blame but myself. Which is even more vexing.

    To my list, though, I would add the fatal sin of Not Paying Attention. "Oops, that said baking POWDER..." Or, while measuring aloud, "1...2...3...Sam, don't touch...6....7...." Or missing a line, or turning two pages of the cookbook. Or, of course, not reading through the entire recipe before beginning.

    I also have the bad habit of trying several new recipes or experiments in one meal. Even when it's edible, it's much later than planned and often cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true about the cookies, they are long gone.... and not in the garbage. One man's underdone tapioca is another man's tasty treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post had me in stitches, particularly the description of the quinoa! And you are so right that kitchen failures inevitably happen with expensive ingredients (the $20/lb. chocolate used in the cake that didn't rise or cook all the way through)...good to hear I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete