Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Rowhouse

So here is the reality. We actually live in a rowhouse, a pale, blue rowhouse with a white porch on the front and a slightly purple door. We inhabit the first floor, where tall, tall windows reach for the light and old furniture seems to feel right at home. Outside, we watch the sun go down over the trees in the park across the street. In this way, I don't feel so very far from that airy farmhouse in the country.

My kitchen is quite large for a rowhouse, and is well-stocked if not in groceries than in cupboards. I am comfortable in my kitchen. It is part of the large room that serves as our kitchen, dining and living room, and therefore, is never lonely.

I am working on my pantry. I have found grocery shopping to be a complicated affair here in Baltimore. We lack may things that those of you in the Northwest seem to take for granted, things like well-stocked, independent grocery stores with glorious sections of bulk goods, and access to companies like Azure Standard. At this point I find myself driving seven miles to Trader Joe's every week, as well as stopping at our local Super Fresh and occasionally going to Whole Foods to mourn over their woefully limited bulk section. Then I remind myself that obtaining food is not necessarily supposed to be easy and that shopping is my modern burden (though truthfully I would almost rather chop a chicken's head off than go to Trader Joe's on a weekend afternoon). I have yet to sign up for a CSA and although there are several farmer's markets in the area I have not been able to settle on one for our weekly shopping needs. This, however, is no fault of Baltimore but simply my own organizational shortcomings. In short, I have much work to do.

Therefore, I am using this post as accountability-accountability for getting my city pantry stocked in a responsible and frugal fashion. For establishing a rhythm of shopping that accommodates both budget and time. For setting in motion some new habits of preservation and simplification.

I'll let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

  1. and yet no photos? I'm disappointed, add that to the list for the next post please.

    Also. Thank you for the reminder to not take for granted the blessings I so often forget to call blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. grocery shopping, except when we're short on moolah, has become a weekend tradition. the whole family goes to Woodman's first, the enormous local grocery store with 4 aisles of cheese. need I say more? then we hit up TJ's for a standardized list that inclued St. Andre's brie, nitrate free bacon, chicken, and a frozen berries for oatmeal as well as sundry other items. I hardly ever stop at whole foods except to splurge on their $5 loaf of raisin challah bread. It makes the hands down best french toast in town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. You should purchase the River Cottage Preserves book through amazon...you won't regret it. Also their meat book, family cookbook and pretty much anything and everything they publish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so curious to hear about this venture and how you do. I have no excuse. I have tried for a year to do this in our city and failed miserably...I have blamed having a baby and exhaustion and such but now my baby's a kid apparently and not an excuse.
    I might try along with you...but don't quote me on that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely rowhouse it is! (And such an amazing kitchen!)

    I have seemed to have the best luck here in our city with ethnic grocery stores. The Russian one a few blocks away carries seven varieties of Kefir. There is a little Italian one I just stumbled across that sells the French lentils in bulk.

    I just found this place online: www.tpss.coop - maybe worth a visit? Also, I love yelp (www.yelp.com) for exploring expeditions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you checked out The Village on St. Paul St. - a co-op?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg-sorry about the photos...I am a very unmotivated and pathetic photographer, not to mention extremely intimidated by my fabulous photographer friends...how about one of you come visit me and photograph my house?

    Stephanie-thanks for the reminder to see grocery shopping as a family adventure and an aesthetic experience:) We do love to take Rowan to TJs and let him push the little kid cart...and I most certainly will check out those books...

    Summer-it's hard, even for someone who loves to cook...and isn't it amazing that our babies are already kids! I can't believe it!

    Mel-thank you for the ideas! I'll check them out ASAP!

    Sarah-yeah...unfortunately they are closed and gone...could not find it anywhere...:(

    ReplyDelete