Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bounty

Last week, just after writing the post about stocking our pantry and finding good food sources, I took myself to the Waverly Farmer's Market and thought that I had gone to foodie heaven. It was astounding. I found everything: meat, dairy, eggs, mushrooms, beans, flowers, vegetables, fruit and even a table selling spices in one-ounce bags. Even more serendipitously, I ran into a woman from our church who knows much about finding real food in Baltimore. She had loads of helpful advice for me and reassured me that the market is open year-round, although it becomes a little smaller in the winter. Basically, I'm saying, this market just might be the answer.

This Saturday morning was our inaugural visit, armed with lists and bags and my entire grocery budget in cash. We got some coffee, a muffin, and a delicious loaf of sourdough wheat and settled David and Rowan on the grass near the outskirts. Then I began what I like to call my Babette-act. I pretend that I am a wise and discerning French woman, basket in hand, boldly and confidently choosing the best from the bounty of produce around her. The truth is a bit more complicated (cash falling out of pocket, bags hanging off of tired arms, ten trips back and forth to decide what vendor to buy a tomato from...) but I find that the imagery helps. And boy did I have a good time.

Here is the bounty, in a long, long sentence of food affection: huge, yellow onions; fresh mint and thyme; tomatoes specifically chosen by the vendor to last until Thursday; precious, little cucumbers; garlic; heirloom apples; rainbow chard; turnips; red potatoes; carrots; celery; sweet, Italian eggplant; cream-top whole milk; ground lamb; eggs; a three-pound chicken and one of the most beautiful bouquets I have ever seen. Dare I say what it cost? I'm still debating whether it is the cheapest way to go, but I think that it was definitely one of the most pleasurable ways I've ever spent sixty dollars on groceries. We still had to go to Trader Joe's for a few more standard items, although I could have gotten cream and yogurt and butter right there at the market as well. In the end, we landed within our budget for the week (although our budget is bigger than I would like) and I have already schemed how I can stretch some produce with a few pantry items that I have been needing to use (quinoa, black beans, azuki beans and rice). Once again, I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. $60 doesn't sound crazy. Not with the meat, eggs, and milk to boot. I'm sure you'll make it stretch and you'll all be eating amazing meals on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that bounty would cost double at Pike Place...I say you did great! How long will this last you? Is this a 2 week budget? I'm trying to make our food budget work but have so far failed, epically, pretty much every week.
    And I agree, the imagery helps:)
    good for you for finding whole food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Axon, please teach me how to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you liking your bounty in the kitchen? Your farmer's market sounds amazing - much more extensive than ours - but I always find that once I get my purchases home I am a little less inspired than I was at the market, and I end up throwing out maybe 20% of it. Are you able to control yourself amongst all that produce better than I am?

    ReplyDelete