Thursday, August 20, 2009

Two (Relatively Healthy) Snacks and a Thank You

I owe my friend Sarah much more than I could outline in one post. But two things must be mentioned here as indicative of her creativity and resourcefulness. First, she photographed, designed and helped me put up the new header for this blog. Heck, she probably even handpicked the blueberries. Secondly, she maintains this tumblr, which acts as a bit of a goldpan in which she swirls the muddied particles of the internet and ends up with a few good nuggets for people like me, who find the whole thing rather overwhelming. Recently on that tumblr she posted a link for this amazing snack. If you don't think snacks should be described as amazing, consider a nutritious and delicious ice cream made of just one ingredient. In three minutes. That is amazing. So thanks Sarah. As usual. We loved it.

This second snack is the ubiquitous zucchini bread of summer. I searched the internet for days to find the perfect recipe before doing what I always end up doing-opening up one of my old cookbooks and hoping for the best, even without eighty-five reviews and a star-rating. It turned out beautifully, moist and flavorful with a crunchy and caramelly top. I added some wheat flour and wheat germ, cut back on the sugar, and eliminated the pecans. Half of it became a classic loaf and the other half became nine large muffins.

Classic Zucchini Bread
Adapted from Quick Breads, Soups and Stews by Mary Gubser

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3-4 tablespoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 medium eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup light oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8x4x3 loaf pans or one loaf pan and one muffin pan (I use melted butter to coat the pans).

Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Sift, if you are ambitious. In another large bowl beat the eggs until they are foamy. Blend in the sugar, then the oil and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients slowly, stirring between additions in order to incorporate them completely. Fold in the zucchini. Divide the batter into the pans. Begin testing the loaves for doneness after one hour. (The muffins will take about half that time.) When the breads are done, cool them in the pans on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. Remove them to a wire rack to finish cooling.

8 comments:

  1. Hee, hee! Too funny! I saw that new blog header last night, and I was so impressed - and embarrased that if Axon could figure out how to make an original blog header, I had no reason to have such a boring one!

    Recipes on the internet - now that's where I get overwhelmed. I don't know how Sarah does it, but I'd much prefer the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Good job on the links too, but they don't work (this is a little tricky). When you cut and paste, you get the http://, but the hyperlink tool starts you off with http:// too, so you have to delete one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! Thanks, Mel , for the tip! Will I ever love the computer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I really wanted to know about that one ingredient ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. icecream? with one ingredient? I'm dying for it. and beautiful header...maybe I should hire Sarah to do mine too;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Savannah went "bananas" over your ice cream recipe! Thanks for sharing! Also, your new header is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just used up all my overripe bananas (actually, Sam's rejected halves--he eats half and then gets bored, so I save them up in the fridge for various baked goods) in banana bread, but I will definitely be trying the ice cream recipe. Thanks to both of you!

    I love the header, too--I think I'll go down and have some frozen blueberries as a snack right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Axon,

    One of my preggo cravings has been banana shakes that I make and they taste just like milkshakes. I use:

    1 frozen banana
    Bit of milk
    Scoop of peanut butter
    spoonful of cocoa powder or ovaltine

    Blend up and enjoy! I LOVE them! In fact think I'll go make one now :) Hope you are doing great - I need to call soon so we can catch up!

    ReplyDelete